In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newsham like this:
NEWSHAM, a township and a sub-district in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 8 miles N W of Richmond, and is in Kirkby-Ravensworth and Barningham parishes. Acres, 3, 312. Real property, £3, 974. Pop. in 1851, 434; in 1861, 366. Houses, 84. Pop. of the Kirkby-Ravensworth portion, in 1851, 333; in 1861, 283. Houses, 61. Much of the surfaceis moor and woodland.The sub-district contains also seven other townships. Acres, 16, 481. Pop., 1, 413. Houses, 313.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newsham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Richmondshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newsham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newsham, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newsham".