In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Powerstock like this:
POORSTOCK, a village and a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset. The village stands on an affluent of the river Brit, near the Brid port railway, 4 miles N E of Brid port; was once a market-town; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Brid port. The parish includes the tythings of West Milton, Mappercombe, Nettlescombe, South Poorton, Witherston, and part of Loscombe; and is a liberty. Acres, 4,078. Rated property, £4, 639. Pop., 1,067. Houses, 229. The property is subdivided. ...
The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of West Milton, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £195.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt in 1866, at a cost of more than £15,000; is in the style of the 14th and 15thcenturies; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, chancel, and porch, with a tower 106 feet high. There is a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Powerstock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Powerstock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Powerstock in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Powerstock".