In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dean like this:
DEAN (Nether and Upper), a parish in the district of St. Neot's and county of Bedford; near the Three-shire-stone, 3½ miles W of Kimbolton, and 6 NE by N of Sharnbrook r. station. Post town, Kimbolton, under St. Neot's. Acres, 2, 370. Real property, £2, 911. Pop., 552. Houses, 124. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is Norman. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a well. endowed school, and charities £14.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dean has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bedford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dean and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dean, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dean".