Place:


Nawton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nawton like this:

NAWTON, a village and a township in Kirkdale parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 3½ miles E N E of Helmsley, and has a post-office under York. The township comprises 1, 200 acres. Real property, £1, 899. Pop., 358. Houses, 83. The manor belongs to F. Barr, Esq. Nawton Tower is a castellated mansion, stands on a rising-ground, and commands extensiveviews. There are two Methodist chapels.

Nawton through time

Nawton is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nawton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nawton, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13774

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nawton ".