In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Owermoigne like this:
OWERMOIGNE, a village, a parish, and a liberty in Weymouth district, Dorset. The village stands 2¾ miles S by W of Moreton r. station, and 6 S E by E of Dorchester; and has a post-office under Dorchester, and a fair on 10 Oct. The parish contains also the hamlets of Galton and Southdown, and comprises 3, 271 acres. Real property, £3, 285. Pop., 420. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land is heathy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £309.* Patron, John Cree, Esq. The church has an embattled tower, and was recently in disrepair. Charities, £33. The liberty is conterminate with the parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Owermoigne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Owermoigne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Owermoigne in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Owermoigne".