Place:


Stixwould  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stixwould like this:

STIXWOULD, a parish in Horncastle district, Lincoln; on the river Witham and the Great Northern railway, 5¾ miles NNW of Tattershall. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Horncastle. Acres, 2,250. Real property, £3,023. Pop., 269-Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. ...


A Cistertian nunnery was founded here, in the time of Stephen, by the Earl of Chester; and went, at the dissolution, to R. Dighton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £105* Patron,Turner, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1831. There is a national school.

Stixwould through time

Stixwould is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stixwould itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stixwould, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13741

Date accessed: 12th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stixwould ".