In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Steeping like this:
STEEPING (Great), a parish, with a village, in Spilsby district, Lincoln; on the river Steeping, 1¼ mile NNW of Firsby r. station, and 3 ESE of Spilsby. It has a post-office under Spilsby. Acres,1,724. Real property, £2,993. Pop., 334. Houses, 72. The manor belongs to Lord Willoughby D'Eresby. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Firsby. The church was partly rebuilt in 1748. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Steeping has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Steeping and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Steeping, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Steeping".