In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton like this:
MIDDLETON, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Rothwell parish W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence, 4 miles S of Leeds r. station; and commands extensive views. The township contains also the hamlet of Belle-Isle. Post town, Leeds. Acres, 1,797. Real property, £9,261; of which £4,400 are in mines, and £30 in quarries. ...
Pop., 902. Houses, 207. There are several extensive collieries; and a tram road goes to the Bradling wharf at Leeds.The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1849. Pop., 1,360. Houses, 292. The living is a pcuracy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £140. * Patron, the Vicar of Rothwell. The church was built in 1846; is in the early English style; and consists of nave, aisles, N transept, and chancel, with tower and spire.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Middleton ".