In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sotby like this:
SOTBY, a parish in Horncastle district, Lincoln; 6½ miles NNW of Horncastle r. station. Post town, Wragby. Acres, 1,500. Real property, £1,447. Pop., 164. Houses, 29. The property belongs to R. Vyner, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was repaired in 1859.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sotby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sotby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sotby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sotby".