In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scotton like this:
SCOTTON, a township and a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The township lies on the river Eau, 2 miles N of Northorpe r. station, and 2¾ W of Kirton-in-Lindsey. The parish contains also part of the township of East Ferry, on the river Trent; and its post town is Kirton-Lindsey. Acres, with the rest of East Ferry, 4, 920. Real property, with the rest of E. F., £4,037. Pop., 482. Houses, 107. The manor belongs to Sir R. Frederick, Bart. The living is a rectory, with E. F. chapelry, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £665.* Patron, Sir R. Frederick, Bart. The church is a large stone building. Wesleyan and Primitive Methodistchapels are at Scotton; and a chapel of ease and a Primitive Methodist chapel are at East Ferry.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Scotton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Scotton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scotton, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Scotton".