In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scotter like this:
SCOTTER, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The village stands 3¼ miles N by W of Northorpe r. station, and 3¾ W N W of Kirton-in-Lindsey; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Kirton-Lindsey, a horse and cattle fair on 6 July, and a pleasure fair on 10 July. The parish contains also two hamlets, and extends to the river Trent. Acres, 4, 630. Real property, £7,012. Pop., 1, 167. Houses, 267. The property is much subdivided. ...
S. Hall is the seat of G. Roadley, Esq. Some ancientspurs and a helmet have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1,000. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is ancient, and has undergone extensive alterations and repairs. There are four dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £8.The sub-district contains eleven parishes, part of another, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 30, 104. Pop., 4, 706. Houses, 1,017.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Scotter has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Scotter and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scotter, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Scotter".