In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Batcombe like this:
BATCOMBE, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; 2 miles ESE of Evershot r. station, and 3 ¼. NW of Cerne-Abbas. It includes Newland tything; and its Post Town is Cerne under Dorchester. Acres, 1,109. Rated property, £1,035. Pop., 184. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Frome-Vauchurch, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is old and small.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Batcombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Batcombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Batcombe, in West Dorset and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Batcombe".