In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Twerton like this:
TWERTON, or Twiverton, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Bath district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, and on the Great Western railway, 2 miles W of Bath; carries on woollen-cloth manufacture, carpet-making, and tanning; and has a post-office‡ under Bath, a r. station, two suspension bridges, a modern church with old tower and Norman doorway, a school church, four dissenting chapels, and a parochial school.The parish comprises 971 acres. Real property, £8,659; of which £30 are in quarries. Pop., 3,012. Houses, 649. The property is much subdivided. The railway here traverses a tunnel 227 yards long. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £400.* Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. Bath jail is here.The sub-district contains 7 parishes. Acres, 14,192. Pop., 6,953. Houses, 1,472.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Twerton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bath and North East Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Twerton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Twerton in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Twerton".