In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middle Rasen like this:
RASEN (Middle), a parish in Caistor district, Lincoln; on the river Rasen, 1½ mile W of Market-Rasen r.station. It contains a village of its own name; and consists of two consolidated parishes, called Rasen-Drax and Rasen Tupholme. Post-town, Market-Rasen. Acres, 3, 470. Real property, £6, 236. Pop. in 1851, 948; in 1861, 1,063. Houses, 251. R.-Drax is fabled to have got its name from the slaying of a dragon; and R.-Tupholme had anciently a small abbey. The living is adouble vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £313. Patron, alternately the Hon.H. Cust and the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is Norman, and was restored in 1861. There are three Methodist chapels, a small free school, and charities £20.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Middle Rasen has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Middle Rasen and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middle Rasen, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Middle Rasen".