In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witham Friary like this:
WITHAM-FRIARY, a parish, with a village and several hamlets, in Frome district, Somerset; on the Wilts and Somerset railway, at the junction of the line to Wells, 5 miles SSW of Frome. It has a post-office under Frome, and a r. station. Acres, 4,970. Real property, £6,020. Pop., 576. Houses, 125. The manor belongs to the Duke of Somerset. New Hitchins Park is the residence of Major Gwatkin. A Carthusian friary was built at the church, by Henry II.; and was given, at the dissolution, to R. Hopton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £106.* Patron, the Duke of Somerset. The church comprises nave and apse of the ancient friary chapel, with a modern tower. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Witham Friary has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Witham Friary and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witham Friary, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 14th February 2016
You have reached this page because, for example, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles used the name Witham to refer to Witham Friary.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "witham".