Place:


North Owersby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Owersby like this:

OWERSBY, a village and a parish in Caistor district, Lincoln. The village stands 2½ miles E of the river Ancholme, 3 W N W of Usselby r. station, and 4¾ N W by N of Market-Rasen; and has a post-office under Market-Rasen. The parish is cut into two sections, N and S; and is sometimes regarded as two parishes. ...


Acres of N. O., 4, 718. Real property, £4, 935. Pop. in 1851, 351; in 1861, 421. Houses, 76. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cottages for local labourers, who previously resided in adjacent parishes. Acres of S. O., 810. Real property, £2,020. Pop. in 1851, 97; in 1861, 76. Houses, 18. The manor belongs to W. Angerstein, Esq. Much improvement was recently effected by taking down old buildings, and replacing them with superior new ones. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Kirkby-Osgodby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £291.* Patron, W. Anger-stein, Esq. The church is a neat modern edifice, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1856; an endowed school, founded in 1705; and a small charity.

North Owersby through time

North Owersby is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Owersby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Owersby, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13395

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Owersby ".