In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westbury like this:
WESTBURY, a parish, with a village, in Wells district, Somerset; under the Mendip hills, 4 miles NW of Wells r. station. It has a post-office under Wells, Somerset. Acres, 2,968. Real property, £6,412. Pop., 664. Houses, 135. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; and most of the land is divided among four. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £251.* Patron, the Bishop of B. and W. The church is chiefly later English. There are a Bible Christian chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Westbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Westbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westbury, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Westbury".