In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mappleton like this:
MAPPLETON, a hamlet and a parish in Skirlaugh district, E. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on the coast, 3 miles SSE of Hornsea town and r. station. Acres, 1,226; of which 47 are water. Pop., 163. Houses, 32. The parish contains also the hamlet of Rowlstone, and part of the townships of Great Hatfield and CowdensAmbo; and its Post town is Hornsea, under Hull. Acres, 4,279; of which 79 are water. Real property of Mappleton and Rowlstone hamlets, £2,773. Pop. of the parish, 4 75. Houses, 95. The property. is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £87. * Patron, the Archdeacon of E. R. Yorkshire. The church is a neat edifice, with tower and spire; and contains, in a N chantry, a white marble altar-tomb to Judge Brough, who presided at the trial of Admiral Byng. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a Church school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mappleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mappleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mappleton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mappleton".