Place:


Manfield  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Manfield like this:

MANFIELD, a township and a parish in Darlington district and N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Tees at the boundary with Durham, 2½ miles SSE of Piercebridge r. station, and 4¼ WSW of Darlington; and has a post office under Darlington. Acres, 2,782. Real property, £3,430. ...


Pop., 351. Houses, 74. The Parish contains also the township of Cliffe, and comprises 3,455 acres. Real property, £4,473. Pop., 405. Houses, 83. The property is divided chiefly between two. The Manor belongs to R. B. Wilson, Esq. The parish is a meet for the Raby hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £466. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; was restored, at much cost, in 1855; and has a tower, a rich E window, and a white stone font. There are an endowed school with £30 a year, and charities about £15. A new school-house was built in 1857..

Manfield through time

Manfield is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Manfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Manfield, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13373

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Manfield ".