In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nettleham like this:
NETTLEHAM, a village and a parish in the district and county of Lincoln. The village stands 2 miles W N W of Reepham r. station and 3 N E of Lincoln; and has a post-office under Lincoln. The parish comprises 3, 270 acres. Real property, £7, 446. Pop., 919. Houses, 213. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Lincoln; and a palace of the Bishops once stood here. Nettleham Hall is the seat of John Hood, Esq.; and stands on an eminence, amid pleasant grounds. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £290. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is plain but good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £4.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nettleham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nettleham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nettleham, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nettleham".