In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linthorpe like this:
LINTHORPE, a village and a township in Middlesborough parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Tees, at the boundary with Durham, 3 miles E of Stockton-upon-Tees; and is irregularly built, but prosperous. The township contains also the village of Newport and the hamlet of Airsholme. Real property, £4,135; of which £250 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 262; in 1861,702. Houses, 133. The manor belongs to T. Hustler, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Linthorpe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Middlesbrough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Linthorpe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linthorpe, in Middlesbrough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Linthorpe".