In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Sutton like this:
SUTTON (Long), a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Langport district, Somerset; 3 miles N by E of Martock r. station, and 4 ESE of Langport. It has a post-office under Langport. Acres, 3,955. Real property, £7,540. Pop., 958. Houses, 200. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £229.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is later English. There are a Quakers' chapel, and a national school.
Long Sutton is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Sutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Sutton in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Sutton ".