In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stratton on the Fosse like this:
STRATTON-ON-THE-FOSSE, a parish, with a village, in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset; on the Fosse-way, 3¼ miles SSW of Radstock r. station. It has a post-office under Bath. Acres, 1,148. Real property, £2,138. Pop., 335. Houses, 86. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. Coaland ironstone abound, and the coal is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100.* Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is Norman. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stratton on the Fosse has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stratton on the Fosse and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stratton on the Fosse, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stratton on the Fosse".