In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowey like this:
STOWEY, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset; 7 miles SW by S of Keynsham r. station. Post town, Pensford, under Bristol. Acres, 814. Rated property, £1,423. Pop., 181. Houses, 40. The manor belongs to Sir E. Strachey, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £183. Patron, the Bishop of B. and W. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stowey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bath and North East Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stowey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowey in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stowey".