In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke St Mary like this:
STOKE-ST. MARY, a parish in Tannton district, Somerset; 3½ miles SE of Taunton r. station. Post town, Taunton. Acres, 923. Real property, £1,936. Pop., 266. Houses, 55. The manor belongs to R. Mattock, Esq. S. House and S. Court are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £133. Patron, Lord Portman. The church is ancient. There is an Independent chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stoke St Mary has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Taunton Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stoke St Mary and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke St Mary, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stoke St Mary".