In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke St Gregory like this:
STOKE-ST. GREGORY, a parish, with a village, in Taunton district, Somerset; between the rivers Tone and Parret, 1½ mile SSW of Athelney r. station, and 4½ W of Langport. It has a post-office under Taunton. Acres, 3,790. Rated property, £5,360. Pop. in 1851, 1,477; in 1861, 1,617. Houses, 334. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £120.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is later English, with tower and spire. There are a Bible Christian chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stoke St Gregory has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Taunton Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stoke St Gregory and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke St Gregory, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stoke St Gregory".