In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke St Michael like this:
STOKE-LANE, or S.-St. Michael, a parish and a sub-district in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset. The parish lies 4 miles NE of Shepton-Mallet r. station, and has a village of its own name. Post town, Shepton-Mallet. Acres, 2,071. Real property, £3,356. Pop. in 1851, 921; in 1861, 734. Houses, 167. The manor belongs to W. F. Knatchbull, Esq. S. House is the seat of J. L. Burnard, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Doulting. The church was rebuilt in 1838. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £7.The sub-district contains 9 parishes. Acres, 13,172. Pop., 3,326. Houses, 775.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stoke St Michael has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stoke St Michael and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke St Michael, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stoke St Michael".