In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Langton like this:
LANGTON (GREAT), a township and a parish in Northallerton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, 4 miles NW of Ainderby r. station, and 5½ NW by W of Northallerton; and has a post-office under Northallerton. Acres, 856. Real property, £1,063. Pop., 137. Houses, 31.The parish contains also the township of Little Langton, and comprises 1,840 acres. Real property, £2,276. Pop., 239. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £310.* Patron, the Hon. Capt. Duncombe. The church is a plain but good edifice, without a tower. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Langton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hambleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Langton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Langton, in Hambleton and Yorkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Langton".