Place:


Langcliffe  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langcliffe like this:

LANGCLIFFE, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Giggleswick parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the river Ribble, ¾ of a mile N of Settle, and 2 NNE of Settle r. station; and has a post-office under Settle.—The township contains also the hamlet of Winskill, and comprises 2,550 acres. ...


Real property, £3,319. Pop. in 1851,601; in 1861,376. Houses, 78. The decrease of pop. was caused by the stoppage of cotton mills and the dispersion of the workers. The property is divided among a few. Langcliffe Hall, the seat of Mrs. Perfect, is a fine edifice in the Tudor style. A waterfall, called Catterick-Foss, is in the township; and many fossils have been found.—The chapelry was constituted in 1852, and is larger than the township. Pop. in 1861, 413. Houses, 83. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £108.* Patron, the Rev. G. B. Paley. The church is a modern structure, in the early English style; and comprises chancel, transept, and porch. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Langcliffe through time

Langcliffe is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langcliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langcliffe, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13249

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langcliffe ".