In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stogursey like this:
STOGURSEY, or StokeCourcy, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Williton district, Somerset. The village stands 8½ miles NW of Bridgewater r. station; was once a market-town; sent members to parliament in the time of Edward III.; and has a post-office‡ under Bridgewater, and fairs on 24 May and 23 Sept.The parish contains also five hamlets, extends to the coast, and comprises 5,853 acres of land and 3,040 of water. ...
Rated property, £9,669. Pop., 1,455. Houses, 314. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the De Courcys; and, with Fairfield House, belongs now to Sir P. Acland, Bart. A moated castle of the De Courcys was here, and has left some remains. A battle between the Danes and the Saxons was fought here in 845. The living is a vicarage, united with Lilstock, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £467.* Patron, Eton College. The church is Norman and early English; includes part of a priory cell, founded in the time of Henry II.; and was restored in 1865, at a cost of about £6,000. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, an elegant national school of 1860, alms houses with £208 a year, and other charities £114. -The sub-district contains 8 parishes. Acres, 18,628. Pop., 2,677. Houses, 547.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stogursey in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stogursey ".