In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stogumber like this:
STOGUMBER, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Williton district, Somerset. The village stands 1 mile W of the Watchet railway, and 6 N by E of Wiveliscombe; is famous for a pale ale, made from a medicinal spring; and has a post-office under Taunton, a r. station with telegraph, a weekly market on Saturday, and a cattle-fair on 6 May.The parish contains also six hamlets, and comprises 5,777 acres. Real property, £5,890. Pop., 1,398. Houses, 275. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £239.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel, a national school, alms houses with £15 a year, and other charities £33.The sub-district contains 8 parishes. Acres, 20,012. Pop., 3,789. Houses, 749.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stogumber has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stogumber and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stogumber in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stogumber".