In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staplegrove like this:
STAPLEGROVE, a parish in Taunton district, Somerset; 1½ mile NW of Taunton r. station. It has a post-office under Taunton. Acres, 1,059. Real property, £4,585. Pop., 469. Houses, 89. The property is much subdivided. There are several good residences, a private lunatic asylum, flax mills, and a tannery and manure manufactory. The living is a rectory in the diocose of Bath and Wells. Value, £205.* Patron, R. Fort, Esq. The church was restored in 1857. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Staplegrove has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Taunton Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Staplegrove and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staplegrove, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Staplegrove".