In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staple Fitzpaine like this:
STAPLE-FITZPAINE, a parish, with a village, in Taunton district, Somerset; 5½ miles SE by S of Taunton r. station. It has a post-office under Taunton. Acres, 2,573. Real property, £2,441. Pop., 264. Houses, 53. The manor belongs to Lord Portman. The living is a rectory, united with Bickenhall, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £600. Patron, Lord Portman-The church is later English, with a fine tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Staple Fitzpaine has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Taunton Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Staple Fitzpaine and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staple Fitzpaine, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Staple Fitzpaine".