Stanton Drew  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanton Drew like this:

STANTON-DREW, a parish, with three tythings, to Clutton district, Somerset; under Dundry Beacon, and on the Bristoland North Somerset railway, adjacent to Pensford, 7 miles S by E of Bristol. It has a post-office under Bristol. Acres, 2,075. Real property, £5,711. Pop., 523. Houses, 116. ...

The property is subdivided. The manor, with S. Court, belongs to P. E. Coates, Esq. Belluton House belonged once to the father of the philosopher Locke, and is now the seat of G. Smithson, Esq. Copper works were formerly here, but have been relinquished. Numerous remarkable antiquities, of the kind called Druidical, are near the church and in another locality, and gave rise to the suffix-name, Drew. The living is a vicarage, united with Pensford, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archdeacon of Bath. The church was restored in 1848. There are a Wesleyan chapel, endowed schools with £140 a year, and charities £8.

Stanton Drew through time

Stanton Drew is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanton Drew itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanton Drew in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 17th December 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanton Drew ".