In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanton Drew like this:
STANTON-DREW, a parish, with three tythings, to Clutton district, Somerset; under Dundry Beacon, and on the Bristoland North Somerset railway, adjacent to Pensford, 7 miles S by E of Bristol. It has a post-office under Bristol. Acres, 2,075. Real property, £5,711. Pop., 523. Houses, 116. The property is subdivided. The manor, with S. Court, belongs to P. E. Coates, Esq. Belluton House belonged once to the father of the philosopher Locke, and is now the seat of G. Smithson, Esq. Copper works were formerly here, but have been relinquished. ...
Numerous remarkable antiquities, of the kind called Druidical, are near the church and in another locality, and gave rise to the suffix-name, Drew. The living is a vicarage, united with Pensford, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archdeacon of Bath. The church was restored in 1848. There are a Wesleyan chapel, endowed schools with £140 a year, and charities £8.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanton Drew has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bath and North East Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanton Drew and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanton Drew in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanton Drew".