In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Spaxton like this:
SPAXTON, a parish in Bridgewater district, Somerset; 6 miles W of Bridgewater r. station. It contains S. village and Courtway, Merridge, and Four-Forks hamlets; the last of which has a post-office under Bridgewater. Acres, 3,387. Rated property, £5,270. Pop., 1,057. Houses, 230. The property is much subdivided. Stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £594.* Patron, the Rev. J. Galloway. The church is later English and good. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £150.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Spaxton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sedgemoor. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Spaxton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spaxton, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Spaxton".