In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sparkford like this:
SPARKFORD, a parish, with a village and a r. station, in Wincanton district, Somerset; on the Wilts and Somerset railway, 4¾ miles SSW of Castle-Cary. Post town, Ilchester, under Taunton. Acres, 950. Real property, 1,968. Pop., 305. Houses, 58. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to the Rev. H. Bennett. Bronze celts and Roman relics are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £266.* Patron, the Rev. H. Bennett. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1824.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sparkford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sparkford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sparkford in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sparkford".