In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Port Talbot like this:
Port Talbot, small port with ry. sta., in 8. of Glamorgan, on E. side of Swansea Bay, 12¼ miles NW. of Bridgend; P.O., T.O.; is the port for Aberavon (2 miles N.), has a floating harbour with great depth of water, and is frequented by numerous coasting vessels. There is communication between this place and Bristol by steam packets. At Port Talbot are situated the Cwm Avon Copper Works, the metal from which is used for the copper coinage. See ABERAVON.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Port Talbot has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Neath Port Talbot. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Port Talbot and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port Talbot, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Port Talbot".