In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkby Fleetham like this:
KIRKBY-FLEETHAM, a parish in Bedale district, N. R. Yorkshire; near the river Swale, 3½ miles N of Leeming-Lane r. station, and 4¾ N by E of Bedale. It contains the hamlets of Great Fencote, and Little Fencote or South Fencote; and has a post office under Bedale. Acres, 2, 974. Real property, £5, 442. Pop., 606Houses, 139. The property is subdivided. Fleetham Hall and much of the land belong to H. E. Waller, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Fencotes, in the diocese of Ripon. ...
Value, £300. * Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is Norman and earlyEnglish; has a massive well proportioned tower; and contains some fine monuments. There are remains of an ancient edifice, supposed to have been of a religions order, surrounded by a moat. There are also remnants of the ancient village of Kirkby. The vicarage was, in the beginning of the present century, transferred to Fleetham, nearly a mile distant.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kirkby Fleetham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hambleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kirkby Fleetham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkby Fleetham, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kirkby Fleetham".