In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirby Wiske like this:
KIRBY-WISKE, a township and a parish in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wiske, near its influx to the Swale, and near the Northeastern railway, 2 miles S of Otterington r. station, and 4½ NW of Thirsk; and has a post office under Thirsk. Acres, 1, 089. Real property, £1, 995. Pop., 209. Houses, 49. The parish contains also the townships of Maunby, Newby-Wiske, and Newsham-withBreckenbrough. Acres, 5, 853. Real property, £9, 136. Pop. in 1851, 1, 079; in 1861, 866. Houses, 191. About half of the land is in pasture. Traces of a Roman camp are at K. W. township. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £643.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is ancient; and has a fine Norman door, and a tower. Charities, £36. Roger Ascham, Dr. George Hickes, and Archbishop Palliser were natives.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kirby Wiske has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hambleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kirby Wiske and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirby Wiske, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kirby Wiske".