In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hanley like this:
Hanley, parl. and mun. bor., Staffordshire, in The Potteries district, 18 miles N. of Stafford and 147 miles NW. of London by rail -- mun. bor. (wholly in Stoke upon Trent par.), 1648 ac., pop. 48,361; parl. bor. (comprising the mun. bors. of Hanley and Burslem), pop. 75,912; 4 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Hanley was made a mun. bor. in 1857, and a parl. bor. in 1885; it returns 1 member to Parliament. It is a modern town, which owes its prosperity to its vast mfrs. of china, encaustic tiles, and earthenware. It has been called the "Metropolis of the Potteries." Coal and iron are obtained in the neighbourhood, and many of the inhabitants are employed at furnaces, foundries, brickworks, &c,.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hanley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stoke on Trent. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hanley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hanley, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hanley".