In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Longton like this:
Longton.-- mun. bor. and market town, Stoke upon Trent par., Staffordshire, at S. extremity of the Potteries, 2½ miles SE. and within the parl. limits of Stoke upon Trent, and 152 miles NW. of London by rail, 786 ac., pop. 18,620; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Before the rise of the industrial activity of the "Potteries," Longton was an inconsiderable hamlet; it is now a large and prosperous town. During the years 1883-84, Acts of Parliament were obtained, which greatly extended the municipal area by embracing the districts of Dresden, East Vale, and Florence. The people are mostly engaged in the mfr. of china and earthenware, but not a few work in the neighbouring collieries and ironstone mines. Malting, brewing, and brickmaking are the other employments.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stoke on Trent. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longton, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longton".