In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pitney like this:
PITNEY, a parish and a hundred in Somerset. The parish lies 2 miles N E of Langport r. station, contains a village of its own name, and is in Langport district. Post-town, Langport, Somerset. Acres, 1, 500. Real property, £3, 258. Pop., 354. Houses, 78. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire and W. Uttermare, Esq. A fine tesselated pavement was discovered in 1828. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £180.* Patron, Capt. J. Dudman. The church is later English; and consists of nave, S transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. The hundred contains also three other parishes. Acres, 3, 237. Pop., 1,815. Houses, 342.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pitney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pitney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitney in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pitney".