In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penselwood like this:
PENSELWOOD, a parish, with a village, in Wincanton district, Somerset; adjacent to Dorset and Wilts, 3½ miles N E by E of Wincanton r. station. Post-town, Wincanton. Acres, 1, 101. Real property, with Brook, £3, 372. Rated property of P. alone, £1, 497. Pop., 442. Houses, 107. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ilchester and Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart. Forest Lodge is a chief residence. A barrow and the site of a very ancient church are at Ballands. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £180.* Patrons, the Earl of Ilchester and Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart. The church is later English; was restored in 1849; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, withporch and tower; and contains an old font, a piscina, and several monuments. There are a Primitive Methodistchapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penselwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penselwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penselwood in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penselwood".