In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Reddish like this:
REDDISH, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Stockport and Staleybridge railway, near the river Tame at the boundary with Cheshire, 2 miles N by E of Stockport; and has a station on the railway . Post-town, Stockport. Acres, 1, 541. Real property, £8, 444. Pop. in 1851, 1, 218; in 1861, 1, 363. Houses, 280. There are some handsome modern residences, inhabited by manufacturers of Stockport. There are also three cotton mills, print-works, and a paper manufactory. The chapelry is much more extensive than the township, was constituted in 1864, and is called Heaton-Reddish. Pop., about6,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1864, at a cost of £2, 500; and is in the decorated English style.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Reddish has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stockport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Reddish and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Reddish, in Stockport and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Reddish".