In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton St Philip like this:
NORTON-ST. PHILIP, a village and a parish in Frome district, Somerset. The village stands 2½ miles W of the boundary with Wilts, 4 S S W of Freshford r.station, and 6 S by E of Bath; contains an old inn, a very curious building of the 15th century; and has a post-office under Bath. The parish comprises 1, 527acres. Real property, £3, 500. Pop. in 1851, 788; in 1861, 672. Houses, 168. The decrease of pop. arose mainly from the removal of coal carriers, consequent upon the opening of the railway . ...
The property is much subdivided. Norton House is the residence of Mrs. Gutch. The skirmish between the army of the Duke of Monmouth and the King's troops under Feversham, resulting in the repulse which drove Monmouth to the fatal field of Sedgemoor, took place near the village. There are several malting-houses, a brewery, and a corn mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £110.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is later English; was restored in 1847; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and loftytower. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £25.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Norton St Philip has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Norton St Philip and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton St Philip, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Norton St Philip".