In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton St Loe like this:
NEWTON-ST. LOE, a village and a parish in Keynsham district, Somerset. The village stands near a bridge over the river Avon, and near the Great Western rail.way, 2 miles W N W of Twerton r. station, and 3½ W of Bath; is a beautiful place; and has a post-office under Bristol. The parish comprises 1, 578 acres. Real property, £3, 985. Pop., 401. Houses, 85. The manor, Newton Park, and most of the land, belong to W. G. Langton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. ...
Value, £426.* Patron, W. G. Langton, Esq. The church is later English; was restored and enlarged in 1857; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with two porches and a tower; has all its windows of stained glass; and contains some handsome tablets to the Langton family. The churchyard contains a recent handsome monument to Capt. E. G. Langton. There are an endowed school with £72 a year, and charities £84.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newton St Loe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bath and North East Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newton St Loe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton St Loe in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newton St Loe".