Place:


Martock Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martock like this:

MARTOCK, a village, a parish, a hundred, and a subdistrict, in Yeovil district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Parret and on the Fosse way, adjacent to the Durston and Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway, 6½ miles NW by W of Yeovil; was once a market town; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a head post office‡, two good inns, a market-cross, a church, two dissenting chapels, a national school, a grammar school founded in 1661, and charities £20. ...


The market-cross consists of base and steps of old date, and a surmounting fluted column of newer date, bearing a sun-dial, a gilt ball, and a vane. The church is later English, of fine character; comprises nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with a tower; has a roof of open wood-work; and was recently restored. Pinnacled archways, of the year 1627, gave entrance to the churchyard. The manor-house, an edifice of the 14th century, now divided into separate tenements, but still in good preservation, adjoins the churchyard; and the hall of it has an open timber roof, and some richly carved corbels. The dissenting chapels are for Independents and Baptists. A fair is held on 21 Aug. The parish contains also the chapelry of Long-Load, and the hamlets of Ash, Bower-Hinton-with-Hurst, Coat, Milton, Stapleton, and Witcombe. Acres, 7,302. Real property, £20,383. Pop., 3,155. Houses, 619. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to J. Goodden, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £450.* Patron, the Treasurer of Wells Cathedral. The vicarages of Ash and Long Load are separate benefices.-The hundred is conterminate with the parish.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 11,945. Pop., 5,979. Houses, 1,210.

Martock through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Martock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Martock and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martock in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13097

Date accessed: 19th December 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Martock".