In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marston Magna like this:
MARSTON-MAGNA, a village and a parish in the district of Sherborne, and county of Somerset. The village stands on an affluent of the river Yeo, adjacent to the Wilts and Somerset railway, 2½ miles W of the boundary with Dorset, and 4¾ NE by N of Yeovil; and has a station, of the name of Marston, on the railway, a post office, of the name of Marston-Magna, under Sherborne, and a fair in Advent week. The parish comprises 1,068 acres. Real property, £3,020. Pop., 379. Houses, 82. ...
The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to J. Parsons, Esq. Remains exist of an ancient building, called Court-garden, with a moat and fishponds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £305.* Patron, Capt. Shipton. The church dates from the time of King Stephen; has a Lady chapel of some later period; comprises nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; contains a Norman font; and is in good condition. There are a national school and three alms houses.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Marston Magna has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Marston Magna and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marston Magna in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Marston Magna".