In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maperton like this:
MAPERTON, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; 3 miles WSW of Wincanton r. station, and 5 N of Milborne-Port. It contains the hamlet of Clapton; and its Post town is Wincanton, under Bath. Acres, 1,534. Real property, with Holton, £4,265; of which £188 are in quarries. Rated property of M. alone, £2,500. Pop., 207. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Maperton House, belongs to the Fitzgeralds. Good freestone is quarried, and bricks are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £438.* Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is early English; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Maperton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Maperton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maperton in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Maperton".